Saturday, October 17, 2009

Surinam Cherry-Day 1

© Ellen Blonder
When we were in Kauai two winters ago, I bought a bag of Surinam cherries at the farmers' market. The glisten like carved jewels, with their fluted shape, but had a somewhat disappointing, slightly bitter tang, more watery than the unrelated cherry most of us know.
A couple of days ago, I was at the San Francisco Conservatory of Flowers, and stumbled across a Surinam cherry tree. They're as intriguing as I remembered. Far too humid in the glassed-in conservatory for me to stay long, I at least photographed the tree. I've sketched out a fruiting branch on a 9 x 9-inch board, to be painted in acylics.

1 comment:

  1. I love these things! I agree that they're better to look at than to eat, but I don't think they taste all that bad. We saw a couple of the trees at the gardens in Kauai.

    ReplyDelete